The state of Pennsylvania is on a roll when it comes to gambling expansion. Already the state has overtaken New Jersey as the second largest gaming market in the US, and now lawmakers have their eyes set on an even bigger prize.
The state Senate passed a bill this week that would authorize bars in Pennsylvania to operate various games of chance in exchange for a piece of the gaming revenue. The Senate passed the bill by a large 39-11 margin.
Already considered one of the top gaming destinations in the world, Pennsylvania is now approaching Nevada in terms of overall gaming options. The move to allow pull tab gambling in bars comes down to dollars and cents for legislators.
“Anytime you are talking about bringing in over $150 million annually, lawmakers will listen,” said analyst Steve Rosen. “Pennsylvania has seen what gambling dollars can do for the state’s economy, and they know that a large sum of money from new gaming avenues such as pull tabs could be a win-win for residents of the state.”
The House, and a large majority of Democratic leaders, however, are unsure such a plan would work. The battle in the state capitol is not over the expansion, but rather where the tax revenue generated from the additional gambling would be distributed. Democrats, and Governor Tom Corbett would like to see the funds funneled into the Pennsylvania Lottery Fund.
Republican leaders have stayed away from earmarking the tax revenue for the fund. Democratic lawmakers believed they had an agreement with Senate Republicans to earmark the funds, but claim that the stipulation was stripped out of the final bill passed in the Senate.
Pennsylvania has one of the most thriving casino industries in the world. First, the state added new casinos several years back. In the time since, lawmakers have authorized table games, which helped Pennsylvania pass New Jersey as the casino gaming capital of the East Coast.
October 25, 2013
Posted By Tom Jones
Staff Editor, CasinoGamblingWeb.com
View the original article here
- January 13, 2014 Pennsylvania Bars Move Closer To Regulated Gambling The state of Pennsylvania is on a roll when it comes to gambling expansion. Already the state has overtaken New Jersey as the second largest gaming market in the US, and now lawmakers have […] Posted in Online Casino News
- January 30, 2017 Pennsylvania Bars Move Closer To Regulated Gambling
Pennsylvania lawmakers made another move this week towards expanding their gaming industry when senators authorized a bill that would bring gambling to over 4,000 bars.
Posted in Online Casino News
- October 29, 2009 Utah Congressman Says Regulated Online Gambling Likely to Pass A Representative from Utah says the Frank bill proposing regulated online gambling could advance and pass quickly as Congress nears the end of session. Posted in Online Casino News
- January 19, 2017 Pennsylvania Seeks to Pass Online Gambling Legalization – Casino Scam Report Pennsylvania Seeks to Pass Online Gambling LegalizationCasino Scam ReportWith these changing attitudes, online sites could soon be filled with football accumulator tips and football […] Posted in Online Casino News
- March 15, 2017 Pennsylvania Republicans Push to Criminalize Online Gambling Not everyone in the Pennsylvania legislature is on board with the idea of legal online gambling. That became abundantly clear at last week’s joint hearing of the House Gaming […] Posted in Online Casino News
- February 27, 2010 Missouri Congressmen Push for Regulated Online Gambling Two US Representatives from Missouri are joining the fight to bring regulation to online gambling at the federal level. Posted in Online Casino News
- May 4, 2017 Pennsylvania Eyes Legalized Sports Betting Pennsylvania has moved closer to the introduction of a legalised sports betting market after the Gaming and Oversight Committee in the US state’s House of Representatives voted to […] Posted in Online Casino News
- February 16, 2017 Pennsylvania Online Gaming Hearing This Week Pennsylvania is planning to host a joint gambling reform hearing before both the House and Senate in an effort to push ahead with plans to introduce legalised online gaming in the US […] Posted in Online Casino News
- December 16, 2009 Pennsylvania House Advances Casino Bill A gambling bill toughening regulation and legalizing table games at Pennsylvania casinos moved forward after a close vote in the state House. Posted in Online Casino News
- March 15, 2017 Pennsylvania Online Gambling Bill Dealt a Blow Pennsylvania is one of several American states seeking to legalize online gambling. According to a recently published white paper from industry analyst Robert DellaFave, casinos in the […] Posted in Online Casino News
- January 30, 2017 Pennsylvania’s Sports Betting Bill Pennsylvania has added another type of gambling offering to its wish list. A House Representative has recently informed fellow lawmakers that he plans to introduce a bill that would call […] Posted in Online Casino News
- February 6, 2017 Pennsylvania Online Gambling Bill Returns Pennsylvania State Reps. Rosita Youngblood and George Dunbar are looking for co-sponsors for an impending gaming reform bill they plan to introduce in the near future. In co-sponsorship […] Posted in Online Casino News