The Seminole Indians struck gold last year when they negotiated a gambling expansion compact with former Governor Charlie Crist that allowed the Seminoles to offer blackjack and baccarat at five of their seven Sunshine State casinos. Now, the Cherokee Indians have made a similar deal in North Carolina.
Governor Beverly Perdue has signed off on a deal that will give the Cherokee tribe the rights to operate table games with live dealers. Up until now, the tribe has had to run electronic blackjack, roulette, craps, and baccarat. The new deal also gives the Cherokees exclusive rights to these games.
If North Carolina lawmakers approved gambling expansion that included any of these table games for casinos not run by the Cherokees, the compact would become voided and the tribe would be off the hook for the hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue that would come from the new games.
“This will mean additional dollars going directly to school districts, and it will provide an economic boost for Western Carolina,” said Perdue, in a statement after the compact was signed. “I urge the General Assembly to act so that we can quickly start receiving the benefits of this expansion.”
Lawmakers in North Carolina are not forced to approve the compact for it to become law, but they could be instrumental in making it easier for the tribe to offer the new games. The agreement in place is for thirty years, assuring millions in revenue for at least three decades.
Tax revenue is not the only benefit of the new compact. Over 400 new jobs are expected to be created to operate the new table games. The revenue generated is already earmarked for the education system in North Carolina. Similarly, much of the gaming money in Florida is going towards their educational system.
“This agreement will provide substantial economic benefit to tribal members and throughout Western Carolina,” said Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians Principal Chief Michell Hicks, in a prepared statement. “This agreement further demonstrates the Cherokees’ commitment to educating our young people through the education funding initiative.”
November 28, 2011
Posted By April Gardner
Staff Editor, CasinoGamblingWeb.com
View the original article here
- January 4, 2014 North Carolina Governor Gives Cherokees Exclusive Gambling Rights The Seminole Indians struck gold last year when they negotiated a gambling expansion compact with former Governor Charlie Crist that allowed the Seminoles to offer blackjack and baccarat […] Posted in Online Casino News
- July 3, 2013 Asheville, North Carolina: To a Tee Resident golf guy Mike Dojc heads to Asheville, NC, for some incredible architecture, its variety of rare craft beer and, oh yes, the damn good golf. Posted in Online Casino News
- September 26, 2009 Gambling Law Expert Gives Online Casino Bill Big Odds to Fail Internet gambling legal authority Toy Cabot told an international conference of gaming insiders that online casino regulatory bills are unlikely to pass through the US Congress. Posted in Online Casino News
- January 30, 2017 Governor s Gambling Bill IN Kentucky Draws Sharp Criticism Governor Steve Beshear has finally unveiled his gambling legislation in Kentucky, and opponents of gambling expansion have blasted the proposal that would make the state a major player in […] Posted in Online Casino News
- October 19, 2009 Florida Governor Will Use Transit Session to Address Gambling Florida Governor Charlie Crist may take advantage of a legislative special session to nail down a Seminole gambling compact. Posted in Online Casino News
- January 10, 2017 South Carolina Tribe Hoping To Open Casino In North Carolina The border war has begun between lawmakers in North Carolina and an Indian tribe in South Carolina that wants to open a new tribal casino in the neighboring state. Posted in Online Casino News
- October 3, 2010 North stunned the north Indians in the ground Australia has got the slight slim lead of 23 after the 405runs in first innings by Indians. North has silenced the Indians when he trapped SRT infront of the stumps on 98. Crowd has […] Posted in Online Casino News
- January 30, 2017 In the wake of Viking explorers, a North Atlantic cruise – Daily Journal Online Daily Journal OnlineIn the wake of Viking explorers, a North Atlantic cruiseDaily Journal OnlineThis fall 2016 photo shows a view of Qaqortoq, Greenland, overlooking the bay. It was one of […] Posted in Online Casino News
- November 16, 2016 Casinos & Gaming North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016 Casinos & Gaming North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016 Summary The NAFTA Casinos & Gaming industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary […] Posted in Online Casino News
- July 29, 2013 Exclusive venue personalized spirits now available across the Las Vegas Strip Las Vegas has raised their bets when it comes to the beverage game. Restaurants and resorts across The Strip have begun to offer exclusive-to-venue liquor labels distilled in partnerships […] Posted in Online Casino News
- January 22, 2010 Delaware Fights On for Sports Betting Rights Delaware authorities announced they have decided to pursue the right to operate single-game sports betting and gambling to the US Supreme Court. Posted in Online Casino News
- May 16, 2017 Online Casino Super Slots Gives Big Bonus to New Players Super Slots, an Internet gaming site featuring casino games as well as slots, is featuring a new signup bonus. Posted in Online Casino News