The United Autumn Indian Community is not waiting for legislation in California before they make a move towards the online gambling industry. With legislation expected this year that would regulate intrastate Internet wagering, the California tribe has become proactive by partnering with bwin.party.
Bwin is known as one of the largest Internet gambling providers in the world. The company has dozens of online gambling sites operating in Europe, and they have been seeking a way to enter the US market once the laws are adjusted. The partnership with an Indian tribe will give Bwin the inside track on entering the US market.
The California Senate has already started moving on a bill that would allow licensed casinos to start operating online poker rooms. UAIC owns and operates Thunder Valley Casino Resort near Sacramento, and that would give them the right to offer online gambling if the bill in the Senate passes.
Bwin is a necessary compliment to the tribal casino, as European-based companies have been operating online casinos for years. One of the biggest fears of companies in the US is that they do not have the platform ready to go when the laws changed. Several US gaming companies have started the trend of partnering with foreign companies last year, and the UAIC is just continuing that trend. Bwin is also excited about the possibility of coming into the US in a place like California.
“California is the largest state in the US in terms of population and is known to have a significant number of poker players who like to play poker online,” said Jim Ryan and Norbert Teufelberger, in a statement released after the announcement of the partnership with UAIC. “Combining our own significant assets and resources with those of UAIC will create a strong partnership that is well-placed to seize the opportunities that will arise if appropriate online poker legislation is enacted in the Golden State.”
Bwin also has their eyes on the national stage in the US. Federal lawmakers are considering several bills that would change the landscape of Internet gambling in the country. The Department of Justice opened the door for online gambling regulation late last year when they offered an opinion that only sports gambling is illegal under the Wire Act.
That opinion has been interpreted by many legal experts as the DoJ reversing their long-standing opinion that all forms of gambling were illegal under the Wire Act.
California is not the only state that has started moving towards regulated online poker. Iowa, Hawaii, Florida, and New Jersey also are moving in that direction. Nevada legislators passed an online gambling bill last year. Nevada regulators have started the process of collecting applications for online gambling licenses, and some analysts believe Nevada will have online casinos operational by the end of 2012.
May 8, 2012
Posted By Terry Goodwin
Staff Editor, CasinoGamblingWeb.com
View the original article here
- January 31, 2014 California Tribe Prepares For Online Poker With bwin.party Merger The United Autumn Indian Community is not waiting for legislation in California before they make a move towards the online gambling industry. With legislation expected this year that would […] Posted in Online Casino News
- February 14, 2018 California Budget Makes Online Poker Easy Pass, Says Lobbyist The political representative for the Poker Voters of America says California's need for money may force legislators to rush the online poker bill into law. Posted in Online Casino News
- June 30, 2010 California Online Poker Bill Shelved Despite Lack of Opponents Intrastate Internet poker will not be regulated by the state of California anytime soon, as proponents couldn't come to agreement about licensing requirements. Posted in Online Casino News
- April 4, 2018 Online Poker Bill May Be Put On Hold in California California lawmakers are intent on moving carefully with the bill to regulate intrastate online poker, even if it means holding the measure over until the next session. Posted in Online Casino News
- July 30, 2013 Tribe to open huge California casino
The Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria Tribe is on schedule to open a huge casino resort in Rohnert Park, California, US, before the end of this year.
The site is adjacent to US 101 […] Posted in Online Casino News
- August 3, 2015 California’s Struggles With Online Poker Continues The issue of online gambling continues to be the source of controversy and duel legislation nationally. In recent weeks a congressional bill has been introduced by Texas representative Joe […] Posted in Online Casino News
- December 16, 2009 California to Hold Online Gambling Hearings in February A state senate committee in California will begin hearings in February to examine the options available for intrastate online poker. Posted in Online Casino News
- December 18, 2009 Virginia Lottery Director Prepares for Online Gambling Games The head of the Virginia Lottery says US online gambling is inevitable, and she hopes Virginia is prepared to be at the forefront of using Internet games. Posted in Online Casino News
- December 31, 2009 Greek Online Casino Operator Prepares for US Market Greek online gambling giant Intralot is increasing US exposure by buying US gaming interests and operating lotteries. Posted in Online Casino News
- March 20, 2018 California Casino Competitors Unite for Intrastate Online Poker Tribal casino operators are looking to work with long-time foes in state poker rooms to lobby for intrastate online poker in California. Posted in Online Casino News
- March 27, 2018 California Tribes Debate Advantages of Online Casinos California tribes are in a heated debate over whether to support or oppose legislation that seeks to bring legal intrastate online poker to the state. Posted in Online Casino News
- March 15, 2018 Online Poker Regulation Bill Comes to US Senate A new bill in the US Senate proposes regulation and licensing of online poker, but not all the news is good for Internet gamblers as high taxation lies ahead with legalization. Posted in Online Casino News